Hop around and see what's happening.
Middle School Program
We are excited and proud to be adding a full middle school to our campus.
6th Grade going strong already! 7th Grade starting in 2013. 8th Grade in 2014.
Montessori School of Denver Middle School is the extension of the exceptional learning community of our school and gives kids even more years to discover, explore, expand and grow within this extraordinary setting.
What makes our Middle School so un-middle-school-ish?
- It’s engaging and experiential. We have designed every facet of our curriculum to be challenging, collaborative, reflective, and student-centered.
- It’s rigorous in all the right ways. Our strong, core academics are highly integrated with other subject matter areas including the arts – keeping middle-school brains (and attention spans) fully engaged.
- It’s so much bigger than just us. We put global education at the forefront and will constantly find ways to inspire this age group to be prepared and excited about doing amazing things in the community and beyond.
- We understand middle school students’ unique needs. Kids in these grades are full of enthusiasm and energy, and they’re also coping with a world of changes in themselves, their peers and their studies. We put a smart, compassionate emphasis on social-emotional growth and help support these fantastic kids every step of the way.
- The community is our classroom. Our students take part in innovative projects, internships, apprenticeships and real life opportunities, and build on the Upper Elementary seminars in Leadership and Service, Innovation and Technology, Global Science and Stewardship, and Economic Literacy and Entrepreneurship.
- We are anything but “standard” but we absolutely exceed “standardized” requirements. Our middle school includes a dynamic, experiential, solid core curriculum benchmarked against state and independent school standards. We are committed to making sure our students master these standards and have the tools necessary for success in high school, college and beyond. We are constantly looking at the best schools nationally and locally to determine how we implement best practices into our middle school curriculum.
6th Grade at Montessori School of Denver
Our 6th grade is innovative and interactive in method, scholarly in content, and global in scope. Lessons are relevant, authentic to real-world experience, and guided toward student ambitions and passions. In addition, 6th grade students learn the social cognition skills necessary to build a classroom community that is supportive, inclusive and respectful of individual ideas and learning needs.
- We foster intellectual curiosity through lessons that are intriguing, diverse, and designed to keep kids active and engaged.
- We encourage students to be creative problem-solvers and teach them to think in connections and learn in context.
- We teach responsibility and help students learn how to partner in their own learning, and not be afraid to take risks.
To see our 6th grade curriculum, click HERE.
7th + 8th Grade at Montessori School of Denver Middle School
Our 7th and 8th grades continue to expand and extend the philosophy of our lower grades as we meet the social and educational demands of these inquisitive, smart, dynamic young adults. Our 7th and 8th grades will have everything a top-notch middle school has and then some, such as math, language arts, research and technology, science and stewardship, social studies, world language, practical life skills, service learning and skill seminars.
- We will have a choice of fine arts, with interesting, expanded offerings in visual arts, music and drama.
- Our elective offerings will be innovative and we’ll focus on integrating curriculum areas such as physical education and human biology or robotics and environmental stewardship.
- We will be out in the fields and creeks, conducting our own scientific research to study everything from water conservation to human impact on animal migration.
- Our clubs will be student driven and will capture and speak to our kids’ interests.
- In addition to an exposure to traditional sports through regular Physical Education classes, we will offer sports distinctly different from others such as fly-fishing, rock climbing and other Colorado based sports.
- At the conclusion of 8th grade our students will complete a capstone project to demonstrate their mastery of mission appropriate and 21st century skills. That project may be in collaboration with one of our current or future strategic partners such as the Denver Zoo, the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, Young Americans Bank, or AVID 4 Adventure.
- We will also take a signature trip to a place that integrates with our academic program, and is in line with our 21st century skill seminars.