SEVENTH AND EIGHTH GRADES
Our seventh and eighth grades continue to expand and extend the philosophy of our lower grades as we meet the social and educational demands of these inquisitive, smart, dynamic young adults. Our seventh and eighth grades have everything a top-notch middle school has and then some, such as math, language arts, research and technology, science and stewardship, humanities, service learning and skill seminars. Classes are Socratic and allow time for deep understanding and conversation.
- Core studies include Algebra I, intro to Trigonometry, Latin, research and technology, ecology, physical science, chemistry, biology, humanities and language arts.
- We have a choice of fine arts, with interesting, expanded offerings in visual arts, music and drama.
- Our elective offerings are innovative and focus on integrating curriculum areas such as physical education and human biology or robotics and environmental stewardship.
- We are out in the fields and creeks, conducting our own scientific research to study everything from water conservation to human impact on animal migration.
- Our clubs are student driven and capture and speak to our kids’ interests.
- In addition to an exposure to traditional sports through regular Physical Education classes, we offer sports distinctly different from others such as fly-fishing, biking and other Colorado based sports.
- We take a signature trip to a place that integrates with our academic program, and is in line with our 21st century skill seminars. During the 2013-14 school year, our students will be traveling to Crow Canyon Archaeological Center in Cortez, Colorado for a week actively engaging in real archaeological research in the field and the laboratory.
At the conclusion of 8th grade our students complete a capstone project to demonstrate their mastery of the MSD mission and 21st century skills. This project can be done in collaboration with one of our current or future strategic partners such as the Denver Zoo, the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, Young Americans Bank, or AVID 4 Adventure.